EXERCISEºRECREATIONºSPORT


HORSESHOE PITCHING GUIDE

Page 17


    Board of directors: Harry G, Haynes, president of The Kenmore Banking Co.; Geo. May, State champion; John E. Richardson, retired, of Ravenna; Fred M. Brust, ex-national champ, of Columbus; Harvey J. Kryder, retired, of Akron; Clyde B. Mitchella, engineering department, Goodrich Rubber Co., Akron, Ohio.
    A county tournament was held at once at Seiberling Field in which sixteen of the best horseshoe pitchers in the county entered; the meet was won by Joe Wilkinson and Clark Wallis both being tie.
    Plans were at once laid to boost the membership the coming winter. Several news items and some publicity soon spread the name, Buckeye Horseshoe Association. Before December 1, 100 members were on the charter roll. The game was boosted throughout the winter, several matches and exhibition games being played on the indoor courts of the Rubber Products Co., which was the donation to the game by Mr. W. A. Johnson, president of the company, and a real horseshoe booster. Before winter was over the first local horseshoe club was organized, at Barberton, Ohio, named the Stronghold Horseshoe Club. By February all plans were completed for the national tournament at St. Petersburg, Fla. Geo. May of the Akron Fire Department, Joe Wilkinson of Firestone, Hughie Palmer of Goodrich, Scotty Rowan of Goodyear, were the entries from Akron, and Fred M. Brust, the national champion from Columbus. Thus Ohio was well represented. The game continued to boom and membership from all over the State were soon represented in the association. Horseshoe clubs were formed, and all horseshoe pitchers were lined up with the new State organization. A bid was sent to Florida for the next national tournament, which was successful, Akron being awarded the tournament for the summer of 1920. The association being on a good footing, necessary stationery, etc., were adopted, as also temporary constitution and by-laws. In the spring of 1920 a real campaign to organize a State association in several States in the union and horseshoe clubs in all parts of Ohio. After several months of effort through the Buckeye association a State association was organized in California, and in the meantime the Minnesota State association came into existence. Both the California and Minnesota associations affiliated with the Buckeye association, as did the Grand League of American Horseshoe Pitchers of America, with headquarters in Kansas City, Kansas.
    Ohio became the hotbed for the horseshoe pitching game. All the fans in the State soon became interested to the extent that hundreds of inquiries came in every week. The demand for information on the game became so great that the secretary -spent all of every other day answering those who became interested. The association became so well known that inquiries came from all parts of the country, from the Pacific to the Atlantic. Stories in newspapers and magazines began to appear on horseshoe pitching. The Buckeye association met the demand