EXERCISEºRECREATIONºSPORT


HORSESHOE PITCHING GUIDE

Page 13


Officers of the National League of Horseshoe and Quoit Pitchers of the United States.

   President, Harry G. Haynes, Akron, Ohio.
   Vice Pres., Dr. Frank M. Robinson, Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
   Vice Pres., R. A. Harton, Lansing, Mich.
   Vice Pres., Joseph Buchhiet, Binford, N. Dak.
   Vice Pres., Fred M. Brust, Columbus, Ohio.
   Vice Pres., W. W. Henry, St. Petersburg, Fla.
   Vice Pres., C. A. Giant, Huntsville, Ala.
   Secretary, Dr. E. C. Beach, St. Petersburg, Fla.
   Treasurer, J. I. Ward, St. Petersburg, Fla.

Horseshoe Pitching in Ohio

    The game of horseshoe pitching was revived in Ohio in 1915. Up to that time no organized effort was ever made to bring the game to the front. Although several men in the state pitched the game for pastime, no known rules existed. It was left to the Scripps-McRae League of Newspapers to give to Ohio the first state champion horseshoe pitcher of all the states in the union. The game was boosted through their papers in all parts of the state. Rules were adopted, the distance set at 46½ feet. A tournament was held in nearly every county in the state, the winner of which was sent to Columbus to meet in the finals for the state title. On January 3, 1915, George McDonald, champion of Toledo; Ed Hardwick, champion of Cincinnati; Bert Crow, champion of Cleveland, and Charles Ray Cox, of Columbus, met in the finals. The tournament was given a big boost. Governor Willis and Mayor Karb of Columbus pitched the opening game, the Governor losing 21 to 7, Charles Roy Cox winning the title by defeating Bert Grow, the Cleveland champion, 21 to 15. The games were played by electric light, under the method of when a man lost a game he was out of the tournament, each man playing the best out of four games. 2500 people witnessed the tournament.
    After the tournament in 1915 the game took hold in all parts of the State and champions and near champions sprung up from everywhere, and the champion received challenges from every county.
    In 1916 plans were laid for another State tournament, to be held at the state fair, under the auspices of the Scripss-McRae newspapers, and champions from 88 counties took part. There were 5000 horseshoe pitchers in all parts of the State competed for the county titles. The prizes offered were for State championship, $100 cash and a $30 medal; second and third places, $25 in gold and horseshoe stick pin, value $15. The tournament was pitched in the open space near Grant's cabin. The title was won by Frank Eachus of Gallipolis, defeating Joseph Bicar of Canton, four straight games. One of the entries, Mr. J. R. Foust, a wealthy live stock dealer of Plain City, who was defeated by Bicar of Canton was a surprise to the big crowd, and more so to his friends as