EXERCISEºRECREATIONºSPORT



10      HORSESHOE PITCHING ---- HOW TO PLAY THE GAME

a strong booster for the game. Joseph Parham is president; Samuel Ross, vice president and treasurer and F. M. Schantz is the club promoter. It is always easy to find your match in any horseshoe pitching argument at Oil City.
     T. C. Reed, 1703 Jenny Lind St, McKeesport, has played in a number of National Tournaments. He spends his winters in Orlando Fla., living in the Greenhurst Apartments, 206 East Livingston Ave. Mr. Reed also is an enthusiastic lawn bowler as well as horseshoe pitcher.
     The Pennsylvania State Horseshoe Pitchers Association was organizeed in 1927. Its present officers are: President, Forest Moore; First Vice President. William O'Neil; Second Vice President, Leon Kester; Commissioner, Richard Massey; Secretary-Treasurer, Earl L. Bennett, New Brighton.
There are also clubs at Rochester, Erie, New Brighton and many other places.

TENNESSEE
     State championship tournaments have been held yearly under the direction of the Chattanooga District Federation of Horseshoe Pitchers, beginning in the fall of 1924. In 1928 the Tennessee State Horseshoe Pitchers Association was organized and held the State Tournament.
     In the first tournament of 1924, H. R. Eaker Chattanooga, won the championship. In 1925 Asa G. Atnip won first honors and in the 1926, 1927 and 1928 tournaments, J. L. Amos succeeded in winning the first place each year. Average ringer percentage in 1928 was .495 in the finals.
     These tournaments have each been run in four events. The events in 1928 were as follows:      First Event-The City Doubles, open only to the champion teams of the local leagues. The leagues play doubles all through the summer and the champion team in each league competes in the tournament for the Peglar trophy cup, which is kept in competition until won three times by one team. Each year it is held by the winning team whose names are engraved on the cup.
     Second Event is the Chattanooga District Doubles open to teams either in the Federation or out of it who live in the district within 25 miles of Chattanooga, and who really represent some organization such as store, bank, office, fraternal order, club, etc. The teams who enter in the first event are barred from this event.
     Third Event is the Chattanooga District Singles, and is open to all players who do not enter the fourth event, and is an elimination contest.
     Fourth Event is the State Singles, and is open to any pitcher who has lived in the state for six months, or any player registered in the Chattanooga District Federation which includes a few players who live in Rossville, Ga. just outside the city limits, but who play in one of the city leagues.
In the preliminaries, each man plays eight other men one 50-point game. The ten men winning the most games qualify for the final round robin.
     In the finals each man plays every other man a match of three 50-point games. The man winning the most matches is declared the state champion. J. L. Amos and Jack McElroy tied for first place, each winning eight matches and losing one. The tie was played off in best three out of five 50-point games, Amos winning with an average percentage of ringers in this play-off of .569, while McElroy's ringer percentage was .474. The horseshoe game has not been generally developed throughout the state. There are organized clubs in Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville and Soddy, and some interest shown in Harrison, Paris, South Pittsburgh and a few other places.
     The organization of the Tennessee State Horseshoe Pitchers Association in the summer of 1928 is expected to foster the sport throughout the state and result in the organization of more local clubs. F. R. Corwin, Industrial Secretary of the Central Y. M. C. A., Chattanooga, has been one of the leading spirits in developing the sport in his section and also in the organization of the State Association whose officers are as follows:
     President, M. Z. L, Fuller, 16th and Carr Sts., Chattanooga; Vice President, H. R. Eaker, East Main St., Chattanooga : Treasurer, O. C. Drinon 5003 St. Elmo Ave., Chattanooga; Secretary, P. R. Corwin, 2114 Broad St, Chattanooga.

WASHINGTON
     The first state championship tournament was held Sept. 5, 6 and 7, 1925, at Point Defiance Park, Tacoma, under the auspices of the Tacoma Horseshoe Club. Floyd Sayre, 9644 E. C St. Tacoma, won the championship with a ringer percentage of .513, losing only two games. He was awarded a championship gold medal and $40 in gold. Fourteen other prizes were given amounting to $300.